New rules adopted by the Mississippi State Board of Architecture (MSBOA) in 2019 took effect on January 27, 2020. The following rules have been amended/added (with significant changes noted):
- A preamble was added explaining the purpose of the rules.
- Chapter 1 (Examinations) was amended to streamline the application process to sit for the Architect Registration Examination.
- Rule 2.4 was amended to eliminate and reduce certain fees.
- Rules 3.2.10 and 3.2.20 were amended to clarify the rules.
- Rules 4.1.1, 4.1.4, 4.2.4, 4.4.1, 4.4.4, 4.4.7, and 4.5.6 were amended to clarify the rules. Rule 4.4.10 was added regarding an architect’s responsibility to provide information regarding a licensure candidate’s qualifications. These changes bring the Professional Code of Conduct into greater conformity with the Model Rules of Conduct developed by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).
- Rule 5.1 was amended to add factors the Board shall consider when determining disciplinary penalties and to bring the rule into compliance with the “Fresh Start Act of 2019” (SB 2781).
Please contact the Board office if you have any questions regarding the new rules.